This building is from Aetherworks Hobby Products in Australia: One Storey Building (Awning)
SKU: AE20002. It's a more upscale business, and the kit has a bunch of fancy bits and details that make it stand out.
Aetherworks' kits are made from a heavier MDF than most companies use, are well detailed and engineered, and assemble easily straight from the pack.
The kit arrived as several sheets of MDF shrink-wrapped together with detailed, illustrated instructions, and pages suggesting ways to personalize the buildings.
The parts pop out of the frames with no difficulty, although some small pieces will need to be pushed out with a brush handle or similar.
There are quite a few detail bits in this kit, with fine areas to be pressed out. Take care, because the MDF can be surprisingly fragile.
They come with detailed floors, but doors are NOT open.
I first added window and door frames made from matchsticks, and carved board detail into the back of the upper hoarding.
Inner walls and the front were sprayed with white primer, and the side and rear walls with grey primer.
Before assembly, I painted the front wall red, leaving the door, windows, and trim white.
I also painted the upright trim on the sides walls. and all the trim pieces, a light grey, overpainted white, then drybrushed with a titanium white. Painting them first makes it easier to keep the painting neat.
The floor edges and walkways were painted grey to match the primered walls. All the grey bits were washed with black, then drtbrushed with various greys and a tan shade.
The red areas were also washed in black, and drybrushed with a deep red and a brighter red.
The four walls were glued together, and to the floor and walkway. When dry, the cornice and trim pieces were added.
At this point, I filled the locating peg holes. Once dried, I sanded them down, and touched up and weathered the filled areas.
When these were done, I assembled and attached the awning.
I felt that the building called for a shingled roof. I made it the same way that I did for Dupre's Bakery, but I repeat the instructions below
I used file folders, but I think they are a bit light in weight. A heavier cardboard would have shown the detail better.
The roof was assembled as per the instructions, but I put the detail on the inside, leaving a plain surface to work on. (Not that it would matter.)
I measured from the bottom edge to the peak, and divided the measurement by the number of rows of shingles I was going to use. I added a couple of MM for overlap. (Above the dotted line) I cut strips of file folder to that width, and cut evenly-spaced slits up to the dotted line. You can trim the occasional shingle to be a bit irregular.
If you make your shingles too small, they will get lost on the building, and not stand out. If they are too big, they will be bigger than the people who would have made the building.
Glue your first strip along the bottom edge of the roof. Glue the next strip above it, aligned with the dotted line of the strip below, and offset by half-a-shingle. Make especially sure that the roof edges are well-glued.
Keep doing this until you run out of roof. Your top row should have it's dotted line above the peak. Let it dry and trim it away.
Do the same to the other side, and when it's all dry, trim away all the excess shingles.
I made the signs in Photoshop, and printed them on my computer. The kit does include a blank sign.
This is a great example of a fancier building, and the extra detail work really makes a difference. This is where laser-cutting excels, and Aetherworks has done a beautiful job of it.
As always,a first-class product, beautifully presented: Superb use of the medium to provide great detail, plus extensive colour instructions, suggestions for detailing, etc. Recommended.